Monday 16 June 2014

Short film planning

Before choosing my inspirational texts I decided to look at a variety of short films to help me chose the genre I would base mine upon. Here I have listed a few short films which I came across:


Knick Knack (1989,John Lasseter)-animation
This short film from Pixar was made six years before Toy Story directed by John Lasseter and follows a snowman who wants to join a summery party outside his dome can never quite get to his goal. I like this short film because it was influenced by Lasseters love and interest in snow globes and was ,in many ways , ahead of its time. I really like the the style of the short film and basic story which creates some humorous moments.Actually , I think its the comedy aspect of the film which drawn me to it.



 A trip to the moon

The first true science fiction film was made in 1902 by director Georges melies. Although a silent film it is easy to follow and inspired many future classics such as Alien. Although not necessarily a conventional short , it has enough ideas of its own than many feature length films in the cinema now. Its unusual length, amazing production values, special effects, and wonderful storytelling were influential for film-makers.


Pixels(Patrick Jean,2010) and Western spaghetti (PES,2008)
Although I have decided not to focus on stop  animation for my short film due to the high budget I did find these two films which inspired me as they were very interesting concepts. Pixels focuses on the integration of pop culture videogames into the modern world whereas Western spaghetti is unlike anything I have seen before because it turn something so simple into something unique.These film inspired me as they made me want to create a film with the same originality.






1 comment:

  1. I think that you need to be more specific about why you have poked at these three films - I love the fact you have used "A Trip To The Moon" but I think that you could maybe discuss how short films have developed since then - also be more specific about how each of these individual texts have inspired you.

    ReplyDelete